The following information is needed to complete your initial CPS application:
1. Formal Education – High School degree/GED or higher
- Name of institution
- Date of graduation
- Copy of diploma or transcript
2. 120 hours of prevention-specific trainings related to the Prevention Performance Domains
- Name of training(s)
- Name of the organization providing the training(s)
- Dates of training(s)
- Hours completed for each training
- Hours applied to each Prevention Performance domain:
- 31 hours: Substance Abuse Prevention Skills Training (SAPST)
- 60 hours must be Alcohol Tobacco and Other Drug (ATOD) specific
- 6 hours must be specific to Ethics in Prevention
- 8 hours must be Sustainability or another ATOD prevention course as it relates to sustainability
- 4 hours of Public Health 101
- 6 hours of Health Equity (known as Cultural Competency)
- 2 hours of Suicide Prevention
- 3 hours of Mental Health Education
- College/University credits from an applicable ATOD prevention-related course may be applied for a maximum of 45 hours. One semester credit is equivalent to 15 clock hours. Three semester credits are equivalent to 45 clock hours. One-quarter credit is equivalent to 10 clock hours. An official transcript from the college/university is required. Formulas from different universities may differ. MPCB will work with you on a case-by-case basis.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to make sure their trainings align with the certification requirements and Prevention Performance Domains as well as which specific domains are applicable to their trainings
3. Training Verification Information
- Acceptable Forms of Training:
- Online, self-paced trainings
- Live conferences
- Live trainings
- Certificates of completion are required for each training submitted for hours. Certificates of completion must include:
- Training center
- Trainer’s name
- Applicant’s name
- Hours completed and date of training
- Conference or training agendas/brochures DO NOT meet the requirements for evidence of training completion.
- If you do not have a certificate of training, please contact the Certification ProgramManager at Emily.Weiler@mso.umt.edu.
4. Trainings NOT Accepted
MPCB reserves the right to reject submitted training documentation that is not aligned with the intent of the requirements stated above.
5. Required Work Experience Information
- 2,000 hours of work experience (volunteer or paid) specific to the Prevention Performance Domains over a minimum of 2 years and a maximum of 7 years.
- Name of Organization(s)
- Number of hours completed in each domain
- Supervision verification – completed within the application
- An applicant must be currently engaged in prevention services (i.e. internship, volunteer, employee) at the time of application submission.
6. Required Supervision Information
- 120 hours of supervision specific to the Prevention Performance Domains (a minimum of 10 hours in each Prevention Performance Domain) must be submitted within the application.
- Name of organization(s)
- Supervisor contact information, including email address.
- Number of hours of group and/or individual supervision completed for each domain The supervisor(s) will receive a link to verify your experience and supervision. It is important to note this link will expire after 14 days. Should the link expire, contact the Certification Program Manager at Weiler@mso.umt.edu.
7. Sign the Code of Ethics
Applicant must read and sign the Code of Ethics within the online application in Certemy (within the Attestation).